Thursday, June 2, 2011

Principal to retire from NBMS

North Buncombe Middle School Principal Vicki Biggers will retire at the end of this school year.

Here's the release from Buncombe County Schools:

Thirty eight-year education veteran principal Vicki Biggers has provided leadership at North Buncombe Middle School since her days as an assistant principal there from 1988-98. She became principal in 1998, and has become known for her high expectations, professional yet pleasant manner, and patriotism as evidenced by the remarkable Veterans Day and Memorial Day observances the school has put on for the community.

Says Biggers, “I have thoroughly enjoyed my tenure as an educator in the Buncombe County Schools System. I have spent the last 23 years of my career as an administrator at North Buncombe Middle School, and I leave with mixed emotions. I will miss the high energy level of young adolescents, witnessing the educational and emotional growth that takes place during the middle school years, and working with a wonderful staff and community. My immediate plans include traveling to Fort Hood, Texas, next week to welcome home my son, Captain Taylor Biggers, from his year long deployment in Afghanistan. I look forward to spending time with my family, traveling, and volunteering in the community.”

Biggers earned her bachelor's in early childhood from Western Carolina University in 1972, and a masters in guidance counseling there in 1974. She received her administrative certification at WCU in 1986. Biggers worked as an elementary school teacher for Henderson County, and a school guidance counselor for Davie County, before coming to Buncombe County Schools as a guidance counselor at Erwin Middle School in 1977.

An announcement on her replacement could be made as early as Friday (June 3), according to BCS.

No comments: